March 13, 2020
If you are concerned you may have Covid 19 please phone either of the following for instructions on how to proceed:
- Our Local Public Health Team at 250-538-4880 (Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm)
ONLY If you are instructed to go to hospital, then go to Lady Minto Hospital and phone 250-538-4840 from the parking lot. DO NOT GO IN. You will be informed on next steps. Do not present to the hospital without phoning first.
Typical symptoms include: fever, cough & difficulty breathing. If you have any of these symptoms – even if you do not believe them to be related to Covid 19 – follow the above instructions.
Typically you or someone you know will have travelled within the last few weeks, however, increasingly we are seeing community spread. If you have ANY of the above symptoms, please take action like you have Covid 19 and not another virus.
STEP WISE APPROACH: WHAT TO DO
STEP 1: DO NOT go to your GP or Hospital
STEP 2: PHONE Public Health at 2505384880 or 811
STEP 3: You maybe asked to self isolate or to go to a SPECIAL place at Lady Minto Hospital
STEP 4: You maybe tested for the virus – note, testing is not always necessary – you will be directed specifically on your situation, testing is only done through the hospital at this time, NOT your GP clinic.
NOTE: As of March 13th 2020 – only people meeting the following criteria will be swabbed:
SYMPTOMATIC patients with respiratory symptoms consistent with COVID-19 including fever, cough, malaise/fatigue, rhinorrhoea, sore throat, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, chest pain.
AND one or more of the following exposures in the 14 days PRIOR to symptom onset:
1) Confirmed high risk contact with a known COVID-19 case
2) Received credible notification that they were in contact or may have been in contact with a COVID-19 case
3) Household contact of an ill international traveller within 14 days of the traveller’s arrival
4) Travel outside of Canada (within 14 days of onset of symptoms)
The most import way to prevent Covid 19 is as a community to prevent spread
- WASH your hands
- Try to touch your face as little as possible
- Social distancing
- Avoid public gatherings
- Avoid routine social greetings (shaking hands, hugging, high fives …)
- If you have travelled or were in contact with someone who has travelled consider a two week self isolation, please phone 811 for more information.
- If you have any symptoms: fever, coughs, difficulty breathing – assume you may be infectious and please follow the steps outlined above.
SELF ISOLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
BC Centre for Disease Control:
Webpage for general public in English, with links to traditional Chinese and Punjabi language webpages: http://www.bccdc.ca
https://www.healthlinkbc.ca or 8-1-1 Translation in 130 languages available
For patients who have travelled from abroad:
Patient Handouts on Self Isolation from VIHA:
VIDEOS: BC Government Videos on Risk of Getting Coronavirus (each is 22 seconds long)
How to Wash Your Hands:
Routine Infection Control Practices:
CLINIC SPECIFIC INFORMATION
To maximize social distancing
- Please avoid bringing family members to your appointment
- Consider re-booking routine or screening visits
- Consider asking for a phone visit if you are concerned about coming to clinic
- Consider booking online for a phone call (this may become available)
Information provided by Saltspring Island Health Centre.